Monday, September 28, 2009

The time has come...

...to update this blog. I haven't been posting anything for a couple of reasons 1. because we don't have any pictures of anything we have been doing, and 2. our lives have not been full of excitement lately! Don't get me wrong, life is great but kind of ordinary! A couple of weeks ago I was able to go to Utah for a week to attend my high school best friend's wedding and it was so fun! I got to see my new niece Lucy Jayne, and my in-laws. While there I went on a major shopping spree (my graduation money has been burning a hole in my pocket all summer long!) and had a shopping dream day... I loved everything I tried on and had to carefully choose what I didn't want so I could stay within my budget; plus we were at the outlet malls so I got steals on everything! Moving on, I got to hang out with my awesome sisters that live in Provo and they came to the wedding with me which was so fun.

At the wedding I got to see so many friends from high school. I haven't seen some of these girls in like 3 years! It's funny what seeing people from high school does to you though. Even though I am totally confident and comfortable with myself, I found my old high school insecurities coming back in a flood. How weird is that, that even after 3 years I still felt 18! However, I still had so much fun seeing these people I have great memories with. Then, Brittany and I drove up to Twin Falls for her reception there. Neither of us have been back for over 2 years. It was nice to go back and see people we haven't for years!

After all the wedding stuff was over with I got spend the rest of my time with Kiersty, Seth and Brittany in Provo! We had so much fun together, and yes Megan and Mhari, we missed you both! The day I flew out Kiersty couldn't get out of work and Brittany had school so I went up to Centerville to hang out with my mother in law. We got lunch and caught a movie (Julie and Julia... super cute show!) and then went to Costco so I could bring home my beloved tortilla land tortillas that I have been missing oh so badly since our move.

For those of you who don't know what these tortillas are YOU ARE MISSING OUT, and should head immediately to your nearest Costco and buy some. These tortillas come to you refrigerated because they haven't ever been cooked! When you buy them they are still "tortilla dough" and you cook them at home for the first time. They are sooooooo MUCH BETTER than a normal tortilla. And after we moved here I went through tortilla withdrawal. Literally. I called every Costco in like a 50 mile radius to see if they stocked these bad boys, then I called the corporate office to see if they would ship some to me... they told me to call my local Costco... been there done that... Eventually I gave up until I realized that since I was in Utah, I could stuff some in my backpack and bring home this western goodness. I was going to buy one package (one pack has 44 tortillas)... instead I brought home three (don't worry, you can freeze them)! Sandra did the math, and figured out I brought home ~14 lbs of tortillas! Haha. If you have never been able to say you know someone who is crazy, you can now!

Moving on...

When I got home from Utah, Steve had already started school (bummer), and I started my grad school orientation a couple of days later. So summer has officially ended and we have entered another new phase of life called "We are both in school". So far it has been pretty good. I really like my classes and my program. I think I am going to have some great experiences through grad school. I won't be starting clinic until next semester so this semester I get to just focus on the academic part, I am kind of bummed about this but it's nice to get eased into things, right?

Steve is taking 62 MIT semester credits which translates into ~21 regular credits. He ended up having to drop a class because he had so many scheduling conflicts. Needless to say, he is a busy man! He has been doing really well with it though. He has miraculously kept up on his 5-6 hours of reading per night and is loving what he's doing. A couple of weeks ago we went to a C-function, which is a culture function put on by one of the ethnic groups in his program. This one was put on by the Japan club. They served sushi which I had good intentions of trying but couldn't bring myself to eat a huge slab of raw fish on a bed of rice, looking at it actually made my stomach turn.. Steve tried it but said it was gross, so I trusted him and threw mine away.

The weather here has turned into the beautiful fall. It kind of changes from day to day. So there are the days that are still in 80's and hot but most days have been cooler than that and there is that crisp fall chill in the air that I have missed so much in the past couple of years living in Arizona. I am so excited about this season. It has always been my favorite, I love the crisp air, the yummy foods that are in season, and the holidays of fall, plus New England is famous for their amazing fall foliage! I can't wait. I have been dying to be able to make pumpkin goodies in celebration of fall-- On Sunday I finally made some pumpkin bread!

My ward's relief society hosted a 'Best of Boston' night last week and I heard of so many fun things to do in the fall... Here is my list
-Go leaf peeping
-Apple picking
-see a cranberry harvest
-visit Salem, MA-- before Halloween, cause on Halloween it's creepy!
- I think there is more that I can't think of right now, but if we get all of this done we will be doing good I think!

10 comments:

Ron said...

I sent you an email before I read...sounds wonderful. Miss you, but am happy all is well.Thanks for catching us up.MA

Eli, Leslie & Victoria said...

Geez your life always seems so busy. Good Luck with your schooling. Sounds like you guys will be super busy! talk lots of pics of the maple trees. Those were my fav cuz they are red... haha. love ya

Mhari said...

We missed being there too. Next year when things have hopefully "settled" down we can come visit in Boston and see all of the cool stuff too. Glad you got your 14 lbs of tortillas. See what they are missing on the east coast? Should've moved to Texas. :-)

Larae Taylor Merritt said...

Well, I don't think your life sounds ordinary at all. What a fun trip too. Don't feel bad about those high school feelings. When my best friend from HS got married 1 year ago, I had the same feelings. I was 31!

I also LOVE fall. It is my favorite season. I hope you enjoy every moment while you are in Boston! I think it would be a neat experience.

Hale-O There said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. I hope you find the time to do your list at the end of your post;)

patti said...

It's so fun to hear what you guys are up to! Boston is going to beautiful in the fall....I've been to Connecticut this time of year and is was lovely.

I totally hear ya on the high school thing. My girlfriends and I got together this last summer at a cabin in McCall. It was so fun because we're all scattered across the US and don't get to see each other often. Anyway, throughout the week we slowly began to regress to our pubescent state....which isn't necessarily a good thing. You just treat each other the way you remember them...even it that was 10 years ago (for me). And who hasn't totally changed from who they were in high school? We had a great time though.

Hope you don't mind that I sneaked a peak at your blog! :)

Sandra and Brent said...

I can't believe that I didn't see your new post until today . . . I guess I haven't been checking up on all my favorite blogs lately. I really need to update mine for sure. I loved your post and I especially loved your visit. I've been reading the book about Julia child's life in Paris that the movie we saw is based on. It's pretty interesting. Can't wait to see you this December. Love ya, Mom Hale

Janel said...

Wow you guys are so busy, but it sounds like you guys are staying happy! Fall on the east is so much fun, I hope you get to do all those fun things, and then post about them so we can see all the fun!

Dianne said...

Dear Kalli,

I'm glad you are enjoying Boston and surviving school. Best wishes for a super Birthday tomorrow. I'm thinking of you.

brockandericka said...

hey there k-dude!!! it has been forever how have ya been?? how is married life treating ya?? and are ya stil in arizona?? any kids anytime soon?? well fill me in hope all is fabulous!! love and miss ya!!!