Friday, July 30, 2010

Three Year Anniversary Trip

We had our three year anniversary on this month!!! Isn't that crazy? It's hard to believe that time has gone that fast but at the same time I can hardly remember life without Steve. I love this guy so much and I'm so incredibly grateful that he is my husband forever. We've spent every one of our anniversaries living in a different state. We spent our first year anniversary in Arizona, second year in Massachusetts, and third in Connecticut- And next year we will likely be in a new state... Crazy! For this anniversary, Steve planned a surprise weekend getaway to the Adirondack region of New York. We've been dying to get up to these mountains since we've lived here but haven't really had a chance, so I was really excited he picked to go here. We spent three days and two nights up there.... Here are the details....


The first day/night we were there we stayed at a resort that had a private lake and we had our own little private tupa (aka cabin). It was a cute little place! We didn't get there until early evening on Friday, so we went for a little bike ride down to the lake and went for a canoe ride. That night, we decided to make our own fancy dinner instead of going out. Steve grilled us delicious new york strip steaks, corn and pineapple, with watermelon on the side. For dessert we had lava cakes with vanilla ice cream! Yes- it was a delicious meal :)

Saturday morning, we woke up and headed to the lake to do some swimming, paddle-boating and sunbathing. It was such a fun afternoon. There was only 3-4 other people on the lake so it almost felt like we had it completely to ourselves. What more can you ask for on your anniversary weekend?


Our little 'tupa'

We decided to only spend one night at this resort to save money and then find a campground somewhere near the Lake Placid region. We just assumed that we would be able to find a campground because there is like 250 in this region, so we didn't make advanced reservations. Well it turns out that during the fourth of July weekend EVERY SINGLE campground gets booked full. Except, we found one with availability called Rainbow Pines. We were so excited to find vacancy we called immediately to ask if there was vacancy. The lady told Steve that there was always room for a tent. Then he asked if we could reserve it, and she said they didn't take reservations but they would hold it for us.... At this point we were about thirty seconds from hopping in the car and driving there... Just as we were packing up I noticed a banner scrolling across the bottom of their website that said "This campground is men only". Weird huh? Well after a couple of seconds of searching we found out that Rainbow Pines is New York's premier Gay campground... bahahahahaha!!!!!!!! We laughed for like ten minutes! I wonder what they would have done if we would had showed up- They would have rejected me and invited Steve to join in all the fun!

Our next resort was to start looking for cheap hotels- we eventually found one with vacancy in our price range! We reserved it and began the drive to Lake Placid.Hooray! We checked in to the hotel, found a restaurant to go and had a lovely pizza dinner. When we got back to the hotel, we were going to put a movie on, so I turned the covers down- much to my surprise I found a whole pile of mouse droppings right on the pillows, as well as chewed up sheets and pillowcases. I could have puked! At this point we were worried that we weren't going to be able to find another hotel (plus it was like 11 pm), so we did some google searching- found another hotel with vacancy- got our money back and got out of there as FAST as we could. Ew, I feel gross just remembering this... The next hotel we went to was perfect and we were finally able to get a good night's sleep :)

The next day was the fourth of July! We decided to drive to the top of Whiteface mountain, which is a really tall mountain there, it boasts views of Vermont, Canada, and on really clear days, New Hampshire. We got to the top and discovered that a lot of other people had decided to do the very same thing :) It was really touristy but also really pretty.


This is a view of the ski resort that two Olympic games have been held at- pretty huh?

Aerial view of Lake Placid from the top of Whiteface

An observatory on top of Whiteface plus a lot of tourists :)


We were going to try to do some biking this day but I was not feeling very well. It was super hot and I was feeling pretty dizzy, so I didn't think that biking would be a very good activity for me... bummer because I bet there was a lot of pretty trails. Instead of biking, we drove for a little while, stopped at a beautiful river and then headed in to the city of Lake Placid to do some exploring.


We walked around the city for a while, got some Ben and Jerry's ice cream and decided to see Toy Story 3 to get out of the ridiculous heat. It was cute and a good activity for me since I was not feeling well! After the movie, it had cooled down significantly so we busted out the bikes and went to go see Lake Placid but there weren't any trails around it and you really had to have a boat to see it, so we just kept riding our bikes around town. The town of Lake Placid actually surrounds Mirror Lake- so we rode around that lake for a while and decided we better stake out a spot to watch the fireworks. We ended up RIGHT by the lake- we could have put our feet in if we wanted. It was a perfect spot :) We ate our dinner of peanut butter and honey sandwiches and played cribbage while we watched the sun set over Mirror Lake. It was perfect :)

The town of Lake Placid at dusk- beautiful.


After the sun set, the fireworks started. We ended up right next to the spot they were lighting the fireworks. It was cool to be so close because the fireworks literally filled our whole sky and it was so loud and fun. Steve found a fireworks setting on our camera and got some pretty cool shots of the fireworks. After the fireworks we decided to take just head home so we didn't have to pay for another night in a hotel, and so we didn't have to fight the terrible traffic that would be inevitable on Monday. We got home at like 4 am exhausted but happy after a super fun and memorable weekend!



A heart shaped firework- the perfect way to end a romantic anniversary weekend!

6 comments:

Meg said...

Wow! I love this anniversary story. The best part is definitely the Rainbow campground! Hilarious! But, good job to Steve for planning such a fun trip!

Rachel said...

Hey Kalli! It is fun to see what you are up to. We are in Virginia and met my parents in Boston in May. We loved it!! Where are you and Steve going to school? Do you like living there? Does Kiersty have any plans to come out and visit? Your trip to Maine looks sweet! I have always wanted to go there.

Hale-O There said...

That sounds great! What a funny story you've got, and you can tell for years to come. See you guys soon-

Melissa said...

Your vacation looked amazing!

p.s. I changed my blog address to aperfectpairsblog.blogspot.com

make sure you update your blog list

:)

Sandra and Brent said...

I had no idea when I talked to you guys that you had taken this wonderful anniversary vacation or I would have asked you about it! What a great post . . . Rainbow Pines, eh? Who would have thought? I'm assuming that the "good night's sleep" after the unfortunate "mouse droppings incident" is code for "too grossed out by mouse crap to feel romantic". Am I right? Love ya, Mom H

Teresa :) said...

Hey Kalli, looks like such a fun trip. I cant believe its been 3 years already. Man time flys. Ps Why are you so gorgeous? ;) So not fair. See ya.