Monday, April 2, 2012

Kusadasi, Turkey

After Athens, We headed over to Turkey for a couple of days! The first stop was Kusadasi, near Ephesus. What's that you say- Ephesus sounds familiar? Well yes, Ephesus was a key city in biblical times and where Paul preached to the Ephesians! This was a really cool place. We went to the ruins of Ephesus, the house of the Virgin Mary and the ruins of the Cathedral of Saint John.

We woke up to this amazing sunrise... fantastic eh?

Some pictures from the ruins of Ephesus...


This is the main drag of Ephesus, the "Rodeo Drive" of the ancient city if you will. All of these pillars were topped with sculptures and the columns were marble. Sounds like it would have been pretty fantastic

The amphitheater where it's believed Paul preached



A sculpture of the Goddess Nike

Gross interesting fact... These are ancient toilets in a bath house. The hole underneath the toilet seat was so a person's servant could wipe their bums.... Gross huh?


These are clay pipes that were used for plumbing- isn't that awesome! I loved learning how advanced these ancient cities were.
This is the ruins of an ancient library, it was beautiful



Loved all of these signs for genuine fake watches- they were everywhere
At the house of that the they believe the Virgin Mary spent the end of her life. This was a beautiful place. It was calm and peaceful and I really enjoyed this part of our visit.

This is believed to be an ancient baptismal font

This is believed to be an ancient baptismal font








The ruins of the cathedral of St. John. They claim to have his body buried in a tomb there... interesting.








Good night Kusadasi.

5 comments:

Amber said...

I just had a dream that you guys moved into our apartment complex! I think that would be awesome, just so you know, you should consider it :)

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

What an awesome place. Thanks for sharing. Now I want to go there.

Sandra and Brent said...

You got some great photos! I also loved our morning at Ephesus. I love that you got the beautiful sunrise and the moon over the ocean.

Hale-O There said...

So cool

Elizabeth said...

Very interesting...I especially loved the sunrise picture.