Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Remember me?

Hello blog world... it's me Kalli. I'm not sure if anyone remembers me because I have been absent since February-- but I'm back-- for now at least! So much has been going on lately that I haven't had a chance to even think about blogging. Okay well I think about it all the time but never actually get a chance to catch up. I should let you all know that I wasn't chronically ill or abducted since my last post, but I had a really hard semester and I was constantly working or sleeping. I'm happy that the Spring semester is over but I am already beginning the summer term. I am in denial of that though. Overall my semester was rewarding. I had my first clinical experiences with two preschool children. They were so awesome. Those little kids stole my heart and I feel more confident in my ability to learn all of the things that I'll need to know someday to be a competent speech-language pathologist. Before I get too far into the here and now I wanted to give you all a quick recap of the last 3 months....

February:

One word: Olympics!

We were lucky enough to be able to go to Canada and see the Olympics. We saw a hockey game, the mens snowboarding half-pipe competition,the ski jump long hill and a lot of Steve's family. We ditched school and our responsibilities for the week (don't worry we paid for it the moment we returned) and had a blast hanging out in Vancouver. Here are a couple of highlights, in no particular order...





















The rest of February was quite uneventful and full of Steve and I paying for the week we took off by having to do tons of work to catch up.

March: not much noteworthy here- We both had Spring breaks which did not match up so I spent my spring break home working and Steve spent his pretty much home and working-- Oh the exciting of life of graduate students- I know you all just really jealous of our lives by that description of spring break- Woo!

This March was the second rainiest month on record EVER. The first rainiest month happened when THREE HURRICANES passed through new england. Yup three of them. There was major flooding all over the state. Luckily only a little bit of water got in our basement and nothing was ruined. It seriously rained ALL THE TIME! And not just a pitter patter- I am talking like 3-4 days of constant downpour. It was crazy like nothing I've ever seen before in my whole life. Needless to say we were happy for the rain to stop!

We had our first 'visitors'. My cousin-in-law and her daughter were here for a conference and one day we were able to meet up and go to the new england aquarium and they were kind enough to take us out to dinner in the North End (little Italy). It was so fun to see family in Boston! *hint hint*

April:

This month also passed with very little exciting. We had so much work this whole month. However the weather improved and we were able to get outside and ride our bikes a lot. That has become our favorite form of recreation here.

Beginning of May:

I finished my semester in the first week of May. The day after my last final I flew to Austin to see my whole family!!! It was so exciting. I can't even tell you. I hadn't seen my parents or Mhari and James or Megan in a year. That is a super long time. It was also very exciting because we got to meet our new little nephew Andrew Keenan. Steve flew out a couple of days after I did and skipped school to stay for a couple of extra days. It was such a fun vacation. I wish I had pictures but I didn't have my camera and am waiting to get the pictures from that weekend. Soon you will see my little man Andrew!

RIGHT NOW:

Well I decided to move to Connecticut with Steve and commute to Boston for classes for the summer. I also have a clinical placement here- but it's on the days I have classes so I think it will work out okay. Here's to hoping anyways. So we found a subletter for our apartment for the summer and also have found an apartment in Middletown. We spent the day today packing our apartment and will be moving next Tuesday-- but not before we take an epic camping trip to Acadia national park in Maine. We leave for that tomorrow afternoon and will return Monday morning. After we get home, we'll pack up the truck and head out the next morning. Crazy, yes. Exciting, yes. I think although this sounds really crazy commuting back and forth to Boston that I'll be happier being with Steve and having a crummy commute than being by myself with an easy commute. And believe it or not, we'll be saving loads of money doing it this way. Yes- our rent is that high, its sad really.

Well I better get back to it but I just wanted you all to know We're alive!

8 comments:

The Walkers said...

You're alive!!! It's so good to see a blog post. I have missed you guys! I hope Steve's 30th was a great day, and I'm so excited that you get to be together this summer. Life is good. Love you guys!

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

Welcome back. Glad you don't have to be separated all summer. That would suck.

Amber said...

I keep wanting to call you but now that we have a three hour time difference it would almost always be the middle of the night for you! And I wanted to tell you that my bike was stolen! I keep teasing Scott because he always said my bike was a piece of crap but obviously someone didn't think so! Your bike riding just reminded me of that and I remembered how our husbands always made fun of our bikes, so I thought I'd tell you!

Ann Despain said...

I heard from your mom about the wonderful reunion at Mhari's. I'm so happy you all were able to be together. I'm glad things are going well for you. Love you!

Sandra and Brent said...

Hi Kalli! So good to see you bloggin' again! We just got back from Lake Powell last night so I guess I'll be unpacking, cleaning and doing laundry for a couple of days. I'm tending Lucy today. It sounds like you're making your big move today . . . I hope you had a wonderful time doing Acadia. Can't wait to hear about it. Love you and miss you. Mom H

Hale-O There said...

It's about time we heard from you! I am looking forward to seeing your TX pics and seeing you in August. The rain sounds pretty bad, it's been cloudy here for months. How was your camping expedition?

Janel said...

Small world...the other night we had a couple over from our ward. And he totally knows Steve. Supposedly they were buds in undergraduate. His name is Matt Zabawa(sp), he was talking about how Steve is pretty much a genius (that's why he goes to MIT).

Anyway, looks like you all are alive and doing good! Keep the post coming.

Larae Taylor Merritt said...

Busy, busy! Glad you decided to move with Steve. Being apart is hard! Good luck in the upcoming adventures!