Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A bit of catch up... a bit of new!

Sorry that i haven't done any "real" blogging for a long time. Steve and I are still alive I promise! We've had a lot going on lately so blogging has taken a back-seat! I just wanted to post a few pictures from our Utah trip way back at the beginning of January. We spent a week in Centerville with Steve's family and had a great time as always, snowboarding, playing cards, and hanging out! The biggest surprise was to find out Steve's sister Laura is pregnant! We were so excited for her and Jordan!


Grandpa Hale came with Steve, Brent and me on the first day we went snowboarding! We all had a great time together

On a couple of days, Rach and I decided to let the boys go to the mountain early so we could sleep in. We had a great time getting more sleep and chatting on the way up!
Playin' Hale family favorite- Rook. I can't believe I used to hate this game



This next segment is just a funny story about how much of an engineer Steve is. It goes a little something like this.... I decided to get my bike back from the house I lived in before we got married (I know it's been a while!). I had a padlock on there and had long forgotten the combination, so after I picked it up I decided that I would just leave the old lock on and buy a new one. No big deal right???? WRONG!!!! Steve thought that was a terrible because "it would look stupid". So we go on a trip to Wal-Mart and Steve decides that if got a hacksaw he could saw through my masterlock. We get home and the hacksaw idea doesn't work. I suggest just buying a new lock like I wanted to in the first place, but Steve discovered that a Dremel tool (high powered rotary tool) can cut through a masterlock (Thank you, you-tube). This story ends with Steve buying a Dremel tool and cutting through my masterlock. Two hours and a cut padlock later, I don't have to buy a new bikelock... Haha
Steve with his new Dremel tool about to cut through the lock. (Yes those are ski goggles, he couldn't find his safety goggles)

The cut masterlock... The End!!!

The last weekend in January Steve went to Boston, MA for an interview with MIT. He went alone because we didn't want to spend the extra money for me to go! He had a great time! He loved the city, he loved the program and the school. We are anxiously awaiting the admissions decision that comes next month!
This is is Fenway Park, it was right by the hotel he stayed at. My sister Megan got Steve a killer deal on a hotel in the perfect location. Thanks Meg!

Random cool building....


This is a room in the Boston Public Library, Steve said it was a really cool building and most rooms were like this. Wierd huh?

Steve in downtown Boston...

For Valentines Day, we decided to forego giving eachother gifts and take a weekend away. We went up to Flagstaff, AZ, went snowboarding and spent the weekend. We had a total blast and it was sooo worth it! Luckily, Flagstaff got a record snowstorm a couple of days before we went boarding and there was great snow, and it was so beautiful! The first night we were there my friend Katie let us stay in her Dad's empty house. It was so nice, however the only drawback was the room we stayed in had twin beds. I felt like Lucy and Ricky Ricardo!!! We went snowboarding all day Saturday which was awesome! I learned how to CARVE, woot woot, and I finally got enough courage to go into the terrain park to watch Steve do some sweet tricks! After boarding, we checked in to our super cute bed and breakfast and got ready for dinner. We decided to avoid the fancy shmancy restaurants and head to Flagstaff's "favorite" pizza place. It was a good choice-- Yum! On Sunday we headed to Mesa cause my cousin Brock came was reporting his mission. We saw a lot of family and it was great to be there with all of them. Oh yes, Steve had another interview on Saturday with Kellog business school (Chicago), he could do an off campus interview and luckily his was in Gilbert. So we got to spend the night with my lovely mother and go to the temple on Friday afternoon. It was the perfect weekend!!!!!!!!!
Lucy and Ricky Beds

Beautiful Snowbowl ski resort

Us on the SLOW lift!

This was the first time the WRX really drove in snow, Steve thought it deserved documentation :)


The super cute Bed and breakfast we stayed in for the night- the Abineau Lodge

The view out of our window- we looked for animals but unfortunately saw none.


Last but not least, Steve has bought himself a mountain bike that he is practically in love with. I like to call it his mistress. Haha. But really the man loves this bike, he knows everything about it, each component, and why it's good, etc. etc. It has been really fun to both have bikes though. We have been going on night bike rides together. The other night we went on a bike ride and apparently rode through a huge sticker weed patch. When we got home I pulled some stickers out of my tires and immediately heard the hissing of a punctured tube, not just one tube but both the front and back. Only Steve's front tire was punctured! Anways we tried to fix mine tonight, and I found 6 holes in one tube and 8 in the other. We decided to just get new tubes instead of trying to fix all of those holes!

6 comments:

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

Wow!! Lots going on. Glad you had fun snowboarding. keep us posted on your applications.

Larae Taylor Merritt said...

Busy, I guess so! Fun trips, good luck with the college interviews!

Sandra and Brent said...

Hi Kalli,
It was great to talk to you this morning (and Steve). As always I loved the blog. You've told me about the bike and the trip to Flagstaff but the old saying is so true . . . one picture (or many) is worth a thousand words (or more). Keep bloggin'! Love ya, Mom H.

The Walkers said...

It's about time you updated!! I loved the Boston pictures. Now, of course my first choice would be for you guys to come to Utah. However, Boston would not be a bad place to visit..:) Can I just say that I'm not suprised about the whole saw incident nor that Steve is obsessed with his bike. My brothers are SO predictable. I'm excited to see you both. Love you guys.

Hale-O There said...

Thats a sweet post. Tell Steve that scott would love to know about his new bike! Last summer scott was so obsessed with fixing up our bikes and mtn riding- warning bike components are expensive and I think Hale men loose their budget mind frame when it comes to cool outdoor gear! Biking is another reason to move closer- this spring we want to go on a few southern utah bike trips... The bed and breakfast looks dreamy. Glad you had such a great Valentines.

Page Family said...

Steve,
How have you been? Where are you at right now? Wish y'all weren't so far. Good luck with your interviews. Don't rule out the south...it grows on you! If you are ever this way in your travels let me know.