Sunday, July 5, 2009

Life in the big city

After Lake Powell, Steve flew home to Boston and I stayed behind for a couple of days to hang out with Kiersty and Brittany! We had a ton of fun and I was sad to go. These are pics from Gardner Village-- we spent an afternoon there shopping. If you live in Utah and you haven't gone to Gardner Village, I highly recommend it! There are a whole bunch of cute cute boutiques and home decor shops, I LOVE this place and could spend thousands of dollars there (if I had thousands to spend). I can't wait for another Sisters' Trip!





Boston:

So we've been in Boston just over a month now and are adjusting and really liking it for the most part! We really love our location and apartment. Our ward is full of young couples/families most of whom are in graduate school. Steve LOVES the weather here. I think there has been like 3 or 4 really sunny days other than that it's either overcast or raining. The hottest temps we've seen are around 85 and the coolest around 55 degrees. Needless to say- Steve is in HEAVEN since he hates being hot, and he gets hot when its about 75 :)
The city is awesome with lots of things to explore and YUMMY places to eat. So far, we walked the freedom trail. There is a painted red line that runs through downtown Boston and snakes around to most of the Historic sites that were key in the founding of America. Some sites include: Sam Adams, Ben Franklin, and some other important people's graves, and the Old North Church, the place where the Declaration of Independence was first read, King's church and lots more!


The Old North Church (Where Paul Revere hung the lanterns to warn the British were coming)


Paul Revere's ride



Paul Revere's House

Mass. State House

Another weekend we drove to New Hampshire with a couple from Steve's program and hiked Mount Monadnock. It is the second most hiked mountain besides Mt. Fuji, and is the tallest peak in New England standing at 3,165 feet (so not exactly the tallest mountain you've ever seen.) The hike was a 2 mile uphill rock scramble! It was hard!!!! However it was all worth it when we got to the top. The peak is just rock, no trees or anything so you have a 360 degree view! It was a beautful day to go too- no rain, just cloudy skies and like 75 degrees and everywhere around was SOO green.



We went with some other friends to the nations largest 'scooper bowl' which is where a bunch of ice cream vendors (local and national) come together and you get to sample all of their ice cream (with an $8 fee of course!). Some of our fave's were Ben and Jerry's oatmeal cookie dough, Haagen-Daaz lemon sorbet, and Brighams cookies and cream!


It's a good thing we did all of this stuff early because Steve is so busy now the poor man hardly has time to eat and sleep! His program was smart and gradually eased them into school but now it is in full swing. We are adjusting (I think I'm having a harder time than Steve!) and life here is becoming more normal so that's good. I found a job working full-time as a pharmacy technician but for a number of reasons I am going to keep looking for another job.I am happy to have a job in this economy, I just hope I can find a better one!

Yesterday we celebrated the 4th by going to the fireworks extravaganza here. It was hands-down the most spectacular fireworks show I have ever seen! The Boston symphony played and Neil Diamond sang a few songs including Sweet Caroline.

So this is our life right now! I will post pictures of the apartment as soon as I get pictures up on the wall!

5 comments:

Meg said...

It sounds like you're having such a good time in Boston! I really can't wait to come and visit you there sometimes. I really like the ice-cream sample place. I just tried the Ben and Jerry's oatmeal cookie ice-cream and it was quite delicious!

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

Glad you are having a good time, but we miss you guys. It is supposed to be 108 this week, so you moved at a great time.

Sandra and Brent said...

Hey Kalli,
It was great to talk to you today. You didn't tell me about the fantastic fireworks and Neil Diamond and the Boston Symphony! Cool! I'd love to try the "scoop" experience. Is it just a once a year thing? Love ya, Mom Hale

Hale-O There said...

I think I'll fly out there just for that ice cream festival! Looks a lot "cooler" then AZ, atleast it's green!

love ya

The Walkers said...

We are so coming to Boston next summer. How cool to be able to see all those historical sites. I'm glad that you guys are already making friends and establishing roots there. I didn't know you were working as a pharmacy tech. I'm glad you found a job. I would definitely like to participate in the eating of many kinds of ice cream. Let's put that on the to-do list when we come. Love and miss you guys!