Monday, March 21, 2011

Life since the winter vacation

When I arrived home from NYC there was SNOW all everywhere! I had to dig our car out of at a least a foot of snow (Last year, it snowed once or twice and there was little to no accumulation). Over the next three or four days it snowed another foot or foot and half. Steve got home a week after I did and I expected it all to be melted. I was wrong. So wrong. He was greeted by feet of snow and temperatures below freezing on his return home. Over the next two weeks it snowed practically every other day and the temperatures stayed in the teens. The snow accumulation was incredible! There is absolutely no where to put snow in this city. Cars line every street and there is no such thing as an empty field to pile extra snow. So the aftermath of our Snowmageddon was that two way streets became extremely narrow-- Sometimes just wide enough to allow two cars to pass and other times not wide enough for two cars side by side. Bike lanes were obliterated by cars parking in them and piles of snow 6-8 feet tall in parking lots etc. Driving in Boston the past two months has been like playing Mario Kart. You were constantly dodging potholes, pedestrians (who decided that walking on the super narrow streets was safer than the sidewalks?), bikers, and cars that were parked far into the street. Can anyone say nightmare?

We got sooooooo tired of snow! Luckily it decided to melt {mostly} this past week. Let me tell you, the snow overstayed its welcome.Unfortunately, I never took any pictures of the craziness but I found some online that illustrate the conditions... and yes, all sidewalk walkways were approximately the width of a snow shovel.






And today, yes this the first official day of spring we have been "blessed" with yet another snow storm. Fortunately, no snow is sticking so far.


I don't think I've ever been as excited to see Steve as when he got home from his trip. Luckily he had a few days before he started school and I had just started school so we were able to catch up and spend time together before the craziness began. Below is from some random breakfast we had... I just like the picture and it shows off his beard nicely. He grew the beard in South America and I let him keep it. He still hasn't shaved it and I've actually become rather fond of it. I think he looks handsome and very rugged with it :)



For Christmas, I gave Steve tickets to a Boston Celtics game. We got to see a good game between the Celtics and Golden State Warriors a few weeks ago. We had the most "Boston" night ever. We ate at Boston Chowda Co. (yummm) for dinner, followed by the Boston Celtics game and we ended the night by eating Boston Cream Pie at the Omni Parker House hotel where it was invented. Such a fun night!


They won!
Steve's first taste of the delectable Boston Cream Pie. Come visit- We'll take you there!

The second week of March was my spring break. It was mostly uneventful. I tried to get organized for my comprehensive exams, did a little studying, made some baby gifts for my newest niece and was able to get to the gym everyday. It really was just what I needed before the last half of this semester. One of the nights, I was able to go candlepin bowling with my Emerson girls! It was so fun to get to hang out, outside of school, which is very rare. I definitely couldn't have made it through this much of grad school without these girls!

4 comments:

Sandra and Brent said...

I've just loved all your posts, Kalli! You've been a bloggin' machine. Thanks for sharing. Love ya, Mom H.

The Walkers said...

I can't believe how much snow you had!!! You're Boston night out looked so fun. I'm not sure that I've ever had a legit Boston cream pie, but now that I've seen the pictures I want one. Good luck on your comprehensive exams. You will kill them.

Meg said...

Let me just say, that looks awful! It sounds awful too! I'm so glad that I don't have to deal with the snow anymore! I also really hope that, that snow is long gone when I get there in May!

Hale-O There said...

Kalli I can't believe all the snow you live with day in and out! You look so pretty in the pictures of your "Boston date." Thanks again for the great gifts for Adelaide, they are so cute.