Sunday, November 13, 2011

Final days in Beantown


The last post that I wrote while living in Boston was the night before I took my comprehensive exams. Let me tell ya, those were two of the longest weeks leading up to taking those exams and two of the LONGEST days of my life. I think I suffered from some form of post-traumatic stress disorder in the weeks following! I was not myself at all! I think I had been so amazingly stressed that I just couldn't pull myself back together. Luckily I made it through (and I passed on the first go around!!!!).

Anyways....

After those two awful days were over, Steve and I decided to celebrate by going on a Boston Harbor Dinner cruise. We had bought some groupons earlier in the spring and had been planning this night for a long time! It was the first of many graduation celebrations. It was really fun to get way dressed up and go do something fancy together- we are normally super casual so this was different and super fun. What we didn't know was that there was a high school prom going on that night on the boat we were on. Luckily, they had their own deck and we didn't have to share!




The next day there was a celebration for the grads in my program. It was a small reception but I always love meeting my friends' families and seeing who and where they came from. This was kind of the last time we all got to be together and say goodbyes since graduation was going to be so crazy! I miss these girls like crazy!
The next day was graduation!!!! Our graduation was held in this old theater right by our school. It was very pretty and very Boston. The graduation was typical I would say but luckily it was short :)




These are the girls who helped me make it through grad school. I miss them so much! I need an excuse to get back to Boston since most of them are still there :)

This banner was all over the Boston Common! I thought it was so cool that my college was recognized on the Common- it seemed fitting since I walked along the Common almost everyday for two years...
Celebration Dinner- where else would we go besides Ruth's Chris??
Two days after graduation my family came into town! My parents, and Megan and Kiersty and Seth were able to make it. They spent a week with us and we filled everyday with New England!
My parent's and Megan flew in on my Dad's birthday- so we made his favorite, Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting.
First ride on the T!

USS Constitution
We spent most nights playing some kind of card game
We went candlepin bowling one night. And I won :)

Steve lookin awesome, cookin pancakes!
We went to Newport, RI for a day to look at the turn of the century mansions there. These weren't typical mansions that you think of- they were like palatial, Versailles type of mansions. They were all built by the famous people of the late 1890's. People like the Vanderbilts. And most of the famous mansions are built along a cliff on the ocean. What a beautiful place. If you're ever in Rhode Island, check it out!






This is the Marble House. The whole foyer, hallways and common spaces are made of Italian marble- on the walls and floors. Wow.
This is the real kicker- called the Breakers, built by a Vanderbilt. This place was enormous and beautiful. Do a google search and try to find pictures of the inside.


On Steve's birthday we took my family to one of our favorite places- Maine! We had been here before and loved it. I think my family loved it too.



A cool memorial day tribute on the Boston Common.

Swan boat ride on the Common!



This was Henry Wadsworth-Longfellow house in Portland Maine. It was a pretty cool tour. And if you don't recognize that name, just think the poem of Paul Revere's ride. My Dad recited that poem almost everyday they were in Boston. So, it was fitting we went to the poet's roots :)

After my family left, we had a few days and then Steve's parents came into town. There were many events for Steve's graduation! MIT does a little more (just a little!) than Emerson did for graduation! It was so fun to celebrate with all of our friends and parents! There was an MBA graduation to kick of the events, followed by a reception at the Top of the Hub. The Top of the Hub is a super fancy restaurant on the 60th floor of the Prudential building in downtown. It boats 360 degree views of Boston. Pretty fantastic.





Not one- but two masters degrees from MIT! Way to go honey!

Steve graduated in MITs sesquicentennial year, which means they made it extra fancy!

The four Steves. Steve H., Steve W., Steve S., and Steve L.
The LGO SO's. What you don't speak acronyms? It means the best support system in the whole world! I miss these girls too!




I think we wore Brent out!

We went to a USA vs. Spain soccer game at the Patriots stadium. I'll tell you the story and let you guess how Sandra and I felt about it. We were planning to go to Cape Cod this day, until we got a text message from Jordan telling us about this game. All of sudden we were going to this soccer game instead of the beach! We spend 2 1/2 hours driving to the game, 2 hours watching it, and 3 hours driving home- all in nasty traffic. Just guess how much Sandra and I loved it.... Haha we actually had fun but were soooo exhausted when it was over :)









This picture is for real! Isn't that awesome? It is the Prudential building where we had the reception. It reminds me of Sleepless in Seattle when the Empire State building is lit up with hearts.

We had a graduation photo shoot compliments of Brent! We had fun taking these pictures!







This was cathartic- taking off those hats and celebrating the end of a very difficult, challenging, rewarding, fun and crazy two years!

We spent a day up in Newburyport, MA where Steve's ancestors are from. Brent was so excited to see these landmarks and show me and Steve the sights!



We also went whale watching- but saw no whales... (this was our second time going with no luck! We went with Megan too!)


Best Italian ever! We ate there like three times in the weeks before we left. YUMMY.



Best Cannoli's EVER! We also went here multiple times in the weeks before we moved!

All packed up! Luckily we didn't have to do the actual packing but it was still tiring. The movers were at our house for an entire day! I didn't think we had that much stuff but actually we do... Glad we didn't have to pack it. Thanks Amgen!


This is our last picture in Boston... We were exhausted going back to our hotel after a long day.

Goodbye Boston.

4 comments:

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

Congrats on your graduations. I can't believe you've already finished 2 years out there. We are excited to see you next week!!

Sandra and Brent said...

Do you ever look back on a period of time and wonder how you fit so much into such a short time!? I do all the time. We're very proud of the two of you! Great photos.

Anna said...

Awww! I miss Boston, and I miss you! Congratulations--you are awesome. :)

The Walkers said...

I'm finally getting around to reading other people's blogs. This is a great post Kalli! You had quite the summer. Can't wait to see you guys in a couple of weeks.